- Installation was easy, but first time, it did not make the system bootable. I had to format all the drives to get it to quit presenting FreeBSD as a boot option as well.
- The first install, it tried to use c2d0, but the second install it used c4d0. Shouldn't this be consistently the same boot device?
- Even though the router has the NIC set to a specific IP, it defaulted to a different MAC address and thus a different IP. I can only assume that it is a virtual NIC.
- When I switch back and forth on the Belkin KVM, the mouse freaks out in Solaris -- even though it works in Linux and FreeBSD.
- When activating the remote desktop, via GNOME, it sets it to localhost and doesn't allow me to change it to use the server name or IP -- thus, can't avoid #4 that way. Might have to go in and edit the files by hand, but unlike Linux/FreeBSD, I am not too familiar with Solaris yet.
- When I went to do the Update via the GUI, it asked for my Sun account info (which I provided) then just said there was an error. Guess that won't fix #4 or #5.
- ZPOOL seemed to work fine -- but creating iSCSI, SMB and NFS targets (via CLI or GUI) only seems to work at the server end. No one else on the network can access it.
- Contrary to what most people have said, the GUI doesn't look so bad.
- I enabled Telnet in services, and that didn't seem to work either.
31 January 2007
So I decided to try OpenSolaris on our old server (old being a year or so). It won't be the long term solution, because I want AMD-V for Xen... but here's my observations so far.